Blogger is playing up again! I've had this final part of the WIP ready and awaiting publication when Blogger went haywire on me: the concept post disappeared and another old post was forwarded to the blog main page... oh well, back to the drawing board it is.
Most of the colours used are Valejo. I will refer to them as VM for Valejo Model Colour and VG for Valejo Game colour. There are also some GW paints I use and these will be duly called GW. We left off the WIP with me having finished the basics on most horse flesh so now on the horse furniture and stuff.
Some, but not all, horses tails and manes were done up in VM German Camouflage Black and the shabraques were based in VM Pale Sand as base for white parts and VG Scarlett Red for all red parts
The Drummers horse was done in VM German Camouflage Black and highlighted by adding Pale Sand and drybrushing.
Next I painted all trimmings with VM Yellow Ochre.
All horse furnishings and the holster covers were then done up in VM Black and the white area's were done in VM Foundation white
The yellow trimmings now received a highlight with VM Deep Yellow
A very fine line of Scarlett Red was painted in the middle of the yellow lines
The black was highlighted with German Camo Black and the red parts received a highlight with...erm, well...VM Red obviously.... I also added some socks to some of the horses. The white socks were done in Pale Sand, the black ones in German Camo Black.
I drybrushed a light layer of VM French Mirage Blue over all black horse manes and tails and used VM Old Gold for the fittings of the reins and the pistol holsters
The saddle bags were up next and got a base layer of VM Deep Sea Blue
A highlight of VM Dark Blue Grey was added to them.
With the horses of the troops pretty much done I went to work on the bases, first a layer of GW Bestial Brown was painted on
A layer of VM German Camouflage Orange Ochre (jeeze what a mouth full!) was applied
Followed with a final highlight of Pale Sand. On the picture you can also see the musket I added in the first part of this WIP and this, together with the pistols on the drummers horse were painted with VM Hull Red, VM Natural Steel and VM brass.
The horses were basically done so I added the riders. Now since these are Revell figures they tend to flake enormously, even when all precautions are taken, so the riders were coated in a layer of GW 'ardcoat. This is a gloss varnish and thus I needed to spray them with a matt varnish as well, so after fitting the riders to their horses but before adding flock I coated the unit in GW Purity Seal from a spray can.
All I needed to do now was add flock and some railway modelling flowers and hey presto: the 3rd Dragoon Guards are ready to take the field!
Listening to: "Americana" by the Offspring