Saturday 31 December 2011

The year's ending...

Hoi,

It's December 31st over here and traditionally that's a time for retrospection and evaluation. Loads of other blogs have similar posts so why shouldn't I do the same?

Let's look at 2011 on two levels, the personal- and the hobby-side of life. As far as the former is concerned the major event happening this year must be the birth of our son Arthur. He's a true delight in all his babyness, I know think I understand other parents lots better and am now convinced there are things you only ever truly understand when you're a parent yourself, I hate Mell Gibson's Historical films but he's right in the Patriot when telling his eldest son to shut up and that he'll understand when he has a family of his own.

Hobby wise there are several things of note to mention. Where I tended to do armies for all kind of periods and conflicts before, 2011 brought me some structure in the historical part of my hobby. I am now grounded firmly in the period of the Redcoat and The Great War. This is also true for the conflicts I am already entranced with: for the Colonial period I will mainly do a British army nothing else. Napoleonic-wise I've discontinued the idea of ever doing Austrians, Swedes, Spanish and Late War Russians, instead I'll be focussing on the Peninsular War, the Waterloo Campaign and Wellington's Indian Campaign.Yes I'll be making short trips into the El Cid and Ancient age but these are limited to the figures I really like. I have played some great games this year with some great chaps all round, thanks for that lads!

In the Sci-Fi and Fantasy ranges I have started a WFB Gobbo army which is just for fun and all models are bought on discount or reduced prices, so as not to fatten GW any more then is strictly necessary. The army is still too small to really play a game with but is nearing it's completion. As you have been able to read in this blog and will be in the future I have been drawn into Dystopian Wars and this is really a very grand game as far as mini's and rules are concerned. I can't wait to get my army done and get it into action in 2012.
 I guess I made the decision to definitely scrap my Cygnar army for Warmachine, as far as I still think they are great miniatures worth collecting, but I won't be playing with them any time soon. In the same line of thought I also scrapped the idea of ever really getting into 28mm gaming apart from my Greeks who are now on the back-burner for some time. The one game I really neglected and shouldn't have is Classic Battletech, I've still read the novels this year because they are great stuff, but have played too few games and painted even less mini's. That's one resolution I have for 2012: remedy the latter situation!

Enough ramblings for now! Let's just wish you all you wish me for 2012 only double!

Cheers Chaps,

Sander

Listening to "Dream" by the Cranberries

3 comments:

Paint-In said...

He Sander,

Now if I would wish you the same as you wish all of us we could quadruple everything in no time at all. Good luck for 2012 and hopefully we will meet this year.

peter said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Sander!

Greetings
Peter
http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

Rodger said...

Happy New Year Sander.