Monday 23 July 2012

WIP 3rd Dragoon Guards; part I

Hoi,

As promised I will start the WIP on my next 7YW unit: The British 3rd Regiment of Dragoon Guards. I started out with base-coating the figures in Army Painter Rat Fur. This is a reddish brown which is very nice for buildings, terrain features but also for doing horses.


I hate doing horses so anything to make the process go faster is welcome. Therefore I used a wash of Valejo Game colours ink Skin Wash 72.093, to give the horses coats a bit more body.



Next up I gave some of the horses, but not all, black manes with Valejo German Camouflage Black.



This was followed by the drummer's horse, they were grey, receiving the same colour as basecoat.



Next up will be all the base tones for the rest of the details, they will follow in Part II of this WIP.

Cheers Sander

Listening to: "Dookie" by Green Day

4 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

I too hate painting horse, cavalry in general but nice progress so far.

Ray Rousell said...

A great start and what a great album too!!

Ben Gilmour said...

I feel your pain, Sander! I don't know why horses are such a grind, but it seems a common theme amongst wargamers ;)

I can see the benefits of basing first, but I'd be worried that the other figures would block access for the brush in painting the inner side of the figure being worked on. You are are able to work around the other figure, obviously!

Sander said...

@ Fran: yeah they're a total pain'; maybe just as hard to do as a rodent...

@ Ray: thanks, your blog is super too mate!

@ Rosbif: if you experiment a little with positions on the base the "getting in the way" is not much of a problem